Climbing Through a Postcard
- Get postcards or a plain piece of cards, postcard size or larger, and a pair of scissors. Get enough cards for everyone.
- Ask if anyone can climb through the piece of card.
- Ask if they think you can.
- Now cut the card.
- Fold it in half, length ways.
- Make two cuts A, B.
- Cut along fold from A to B.
- Now do alternate cuts C,D, C, D, etc., cutting through both halves of the folded card.
- As you prepare the card, say, "I’m going to cut the card. I’m cutting the card. I’ve cut the card."
- Now shake out the zigzag circle of a card and climb through it, not forgetting to say, "I’m going to climb through it. I’m climbing through it. I’ve climbed through it."
- Next, students practice the trick in pairs, making use of the English dialog.
- Make a student demonstrate instead of yourself, and say "He's ..." instead of "I'm ..."