The Eigo Note (英語ノート) was the standard textbook for elementary school English between 2009 and 2012. There were two books, one for 5th grade and one for 6th grade. Each book came with a CD which you could install on your computer. The interactive CD contains the entire textbook, plus listening activities. Below are links to an extensive explanation of the 5th and 6th grade lesson plans translated into English, followed by short outlines of the lessons.
Eigo Note was replaced with Hi, friends! in April, 2012.
Eigo Note Teacher's Edition
- Translation of Teacher's 5th Year Eigo Note Guide.
- Translation of Teacher's 6th Year Eigo Note Guide.
5th grade book outline
|1||Greetings||Hello. / What's your name? / My name is Ken. / Nice to meet you.||Lesson 1|
|2||Emotions||How are you? / I'm happy.|
|3||Numbers||How many? / Five.|
|4||Fruit||Do you like apples? / Yes, I do. / No, I don't.
I like bananas. / Thank you.
|I don't like blue.|
|6||Fruit||What do you want? / Melon, please.|
|7||Classroom objects||What's this? / It's a pencil.|
|8||Subjects||I study Japanese.|
|9||Food||What would you like? / I'd like juice.|
6th grade book outline
|1||Classroom English||That's right.|
|3||Months||When is your birthday?|
|4||Activities.||I can swim.|
|6||Countries||I want to go to Italy.|
|7||Numbers, Time||What time do you get up?|
|8||English play||Please help me.|
|9||Jobs||I want to be a teacher.|
Ideas for using the textbook
- 5th Grade Lesson 7: What's this? / It's a pencil.
- Put all the large display cards into an envelope with a circle cut in the middle so that a small part of the picture on the card shows through. Whats this?
- Let students make there own quiz and show the class. Students can make stencil cut outs, draw outlines on one side and the full picture on the other, slowly fold down a picture so students can guess, make a list of hints.
- 6th Grade Lesson 4: I can swim.
- Bring in pictures of things you can do. Tongue twisters are good. Whistling, snapping your fingers, winking, moving your ears or one eyebrow, yo-yo etc...
- Elementary lesson resources.
- Elementary school activities.
- Elementary school topics.
- Eigo Note Resources. English translations of the guide books.
- Eigo Note Blog. Many activity ideas.
- Genki English on Eigo Notebooks. Genki English is a business, but their ideas are free.
- MEXT Eigo Note site. Mainly just picture cards.