Foreign registration renewal

Foreign registration cards expire 30 days following the card holder's fifth birthday in Japan (or fifth birthday after issue of the card). That means most fifth year JETs have to renew the cards during their fifth year. The renewal procedure is very easy.

What you need:

  • Foreign registration card.
  • Passport.
  • 2 passport size pictures.
  • Application. (available from, and filled out at, the city/town/village office)

Take these items to the city/town/village office you're registered at. There are no cost involved and should only take a few minutes to complete.

See also