From Akita Wiki
|Noshiro in Akita|
|Population||54,576 (as of 2016-02-01)|
|Address||1-3 Uemachi, Noshiro|
Akita 016-8501 (〒016-8501 秋田県
Noshiro (能代市; -shi) is a city located in northwestern Akita Prefecture. The city merged with the town of Futatsui in 2006 to form the new city of Noshiro.
This page primarily contains information about the city of Noshiro. For information of Futatsui Machi, please see the Futatsui page.
Noshiro is known throughout Japan for the basketball team of Noshiro Technical High School.
Visitors should note that Noshiro Station serves central Noshiro, but note that Noshiro Station is not on the Ou Line to Akita, meaning a transfer at Higashi-Noshiro Station is needed. Noshiro and Higashi-Noshiro are connected by a 5-minute shuttle train which is usually timed to coincide with the Ou Line trains headed for Akita City or Ōdate.
Festivals & Events
- Noshiro New Bride Marching Festival, April 8
- Noshiro Kite Making Competition, April 26
- Futatsui Omikoshi Festival, May 3
- It takes over 40 people to haul Futatsui's supremely heavy shrine all over town while partaking in drink. The portable shrine is one of the heaviest in the area, weighing in at over a ton!
- Noshiro Basketball Tournament, Golden Week
- Noshiro is famous for its basketball prowess. During Golden Week, the home team takes on a gaijin team from America.
- Noshiro Taiko Festival, early June
- All day festival down at the port, by the Hamanasu wall. Groups from all over Akita attend, including the Namahage group from Oga. Festival runs from 10am to 3pm.
- Previous festival dates: June 8, 2008 (Sunday)
- Noshiro Omikoshi Festival, July 27 (2008)
- Starting from Hiyoshi Shrine (日吉神社) 〒016-0815 秋田県能代市御指南町３−２４(Map) men carry a heavy portable shrine throughout town. This is followed by several huge heavy pedestals on wheels, which are pulled through the streets on ropes. Opening festivities start around 9:30 am, and the shrine is returned to Hiyoshi around 7pm after spending a few hours at the shrine in Noshiro Park. (Hiyoshi Shrine blog)
- Children's Tanabata, Aug 3
- Whimsical floats, based on cartoon characters and made by hand in each neighborhood, are pulled around town. Opening ceremonies at 6:20, float pulling from 7-8pm.
- Tanabata, Aug 6-7
- Observed all over Japan, come see how we celebrate Tanabata in Noshiro with huge castle-shaped floats lit from within and pulled through the streets at night. The second night, the fish-shaped top of the floats are taken to the Yoneshiro river and burned on the water. First night float pulling at 7:20, second night fire at 8:30.
- Mini Tanabata, Aug 7 or 8
- Based out of Nibuna, a small outskirt village of Futatsui, a miniaturized version of the Noshiro Tanabata. Each section of the village prepares and brings its own float, some coming from as far as Tashiro (near Kamikoani). Nibuna also holds bon-odori by the Yoneshiro River.
- Futatsui's Nibuna Dance Festival(仁鮒ささら踊), Aug 13-14 (2008)
- To pray for a bountiful year. South of the river on the 203
- Futatsui's Mokkun Festival, Aug 15
- A small-town affair with food stalls, yosakoi, and fireworks.
- Onagori Festival, second weekend in September
- Kazenomatsubara Festival, last weekend in September
- Takes place by the 大森稲荷神社 on this map. Join townspeople in a forest clearing to enjoy Kiritanpo and listen to taiko.
- Kimimachi Marathon, third weekend in October, in Futatsui
- Cost to register: ¥2500
- 21km, 10km, 4km routes to run. Also includes festival with mochi pounding, taiko, yosakoi, food stalls, and local craft sales.
Note: Exact yearly dates subject to change.
Sightseeing & Activities
- Kazenomatsubara (風の松原). website. 秋田県能代市元町１４−６. (map). Over 1km wide and 14km long, "Wind of Matsubara", this Japanese black pine forest was planted to protect Noshiro from coastal erosion. Now features beautiful and seemingly endless trails for walking and cycling complete with maps, a square, field athletics course and one or two shrines. In 1996 it was designated as one of the 100 Soundscapes of Japan (日本の音風景100選) by the Ministry of the Environment.
- Noshiro Kankō-Kōkai (観光協会). website. ☎ 0185-88-8802. 〒016-0831 秋田県能代市元町１３−１４. (map). Noshiro's tourism information centre. The guy here worked as a taxi driver in Tokyo for years, and his English is excellent. He also has an encyclopedic knowledge of Noshiro. 09:00-17:30.
- Noshiro Sports Center (能代スポーツセンター). website. ☎ 0185-52-0154. 秋田県能代市元町１４−６ 能代スポーツセンター. (map). Noshiro's bowling alley complete with baseball batting cages. Reasonable prices and a fun time every time!
- Noshiro Yamamoto Sports Resort Center Arinas (能代山本スポーツリゾートセンター アリナス). website. ☎ 0185-54-9200. 〒016-0014 秋田県能代市落合字下台２番地１. (map). More simply known as "Arinas", this is the sports centre for the area. Facility includes a training room, large gymnasium, indoor running track and swimming pool. Equipment access: ￥300.
- Noshiro Community Swimming Pool (能代市役所 市民プール). website. ☎ 0185-54-9445. 〒016-0804 秋田県能代市万町８−５０. (map). City swimming pool, that also has a large outdoor pool. Closes for the winter months. 10:00-19:00 on weekends, 13:00-19:00 on weekdays. The outdoor pool is open from 10:00-sunset.
- Energium Park (エナジアムパーク). website. ☎ 0185-52-2956. 〒016-0807 秋田県能代市大森山１−６. (map). Half park, half power station, so you get the best of both worlds. Includes an indoor arboretum under a glass dome, as well as an outdoor wading pool and free stilts! There's also a small museum here dedicated to Noshiro's festivals and famous kites.
- Noshiro Rocket Testing Center (能代ロケット実験場; Noshiro Roketto Jikkenjo). website. ☎ 0185-52-7123. 〒016-0179 秋田県能代市浅内字下西山1. (map). A Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) facility. This is also the site of the legendary Noshiro Space Event which happens in August every year. Tours are available for free, but reservations must be made.
- Noshiro City General Gymnasium (能代総合体育館). website. ☎ 0185-54-3607. 〒016-0803 秋田県能代市大町９−５３. (map). A large gymnasium that hosts a variety of sporting events. The Akita Northern Happinets also play a few games every year here. 09:00-21:30.
- Noshiro Basketball Library and Museum (能代バスケミュージアム). website. ☎ 0185-88-8876. 〒016-0821 秋田県能代市畠町１１−２３. (map). Learn about the basketball town of Noshiro and basketball. All the local and regional basketball news and events can be found here. 09:30-18:00.
- Community Center (文化会館). website. ☎ 0185-54-8141. 〒016-0842 秋田県能代市追分町４−２６. (map). The cultural center of Noshiro. Venue for a variety of cultural events including several concerts.
- Yoneshiro River (米代川). This is the main river than runs through the city and offers pleasant bike paths along both sides of the river.
Bars & Restaurants
- Genkiya Ramen (元気屋). website. ☎ 0185-55-3051. 〒016-0186 秋田県能代市字下野13−4. (map). Great ramen shop with an even greater ramen selection. 11:00-22:00.
- Jūhachi-ban Ramen (十八番ラーメン). website. ☎ 0185-52-7535. 〒016-0842 秋田県能代市追分町２−５０. (map). Noshiro's famous and legendary ramen shop. If you are lucky enough to get one of the 16 seats (usually there is a queue out the door) you will be lucky enough to try one of the 3 types of ramen this shop offers. The owners may refuse to serve noisy children or students in uniform. 11:00-14:00 (Lunch only). Closed on Wednesdays, weekends and holidays.
- Nonki (能紀). ☎ 0185-54-4461. 〒016-0891 能代市西道理町２－３. (map). This is an absolutely fantastic yakitori restaurant that is guaranteed to be busy. If you are in a group phoning ahead is recommended to get seats. If you are a fan of yakitori this is absolutely not to be missed.
- Katsuretsu An (かつれつ庵). ☎ 0185-54-8446. 住所： 〒016-0183 秋田県能代市中柳２１−７. (map). Great family run restaurant that is well known for its quality and generous portions. As the name suggests, pork katsu is their specialty. If you are truly hungry, the katsu curry will not disappoint.
- Meat Factory (ミートファクトリー). ☎ 0185-88-8388. 〒016-0103 秋田県能代市字宮ノ前51−1. (map). High quality steakhouse, definitely some of the best steaks in town. 11:30～14:30(L.O.14:00) 17:30～21:00(L.O.20:30) Open for lunch on Sundays, closed on Mondays.
- Beau Neige (ボーネージュ). ☎ 0185-54-4452. 〒016-0878 秋田県能代市臥竜山３６−９. (map). This is the place to go for decent Italian food. The garlic toast is nigh on the best in Japan, and the "Sicilian" eggplant pasta is particularly tasty as well. 10:00-22:00. Closed on Mon.
- Defer (デュフェール). ☎ 0185-88-8336. As you exit Noshiro Station turn right and walk north for one minute.. 〒016-0816、秋田県能代市富町５５−７. (map). Discreet and classy French restaurant in central Noshiro. The chef/master trained in France which makes for a spectacularly delicious menu. The maximum occupancy is around 12 people, so if in a group or on a Saturday night reservations might be best.
- Ogawatei (おがわ亭). ☎ 0185-52-1916. 〒016-0891 能代市西どり町1-7. (map). Cozy place to get some good, hand-made grub. Chef Ogawa spent the years after college hitchhiking through North America, Europe and India, and brought back tasty cuisine from each. He also speaks a fair bit of English. Try the Indo Curry, which is actually spicy, crab croquettes, and spring rolls, which are sublime. Other unique offerings on hand include: pig's ear, grilled lamb, and Newcastle beer. Mon-Fri 11:30-14:00, 17:00-23:00. Sat 17:00-23:00. Closed on Sun.
- Mister Donut (ミスタードーナツ). ☎ 0185-89-1860. Inside the Itoku department store at the Across Plaza shopping area.. 〒016-0188、秋田県能代市字寺向７０. (map). Doughnuts, doughnuts, doughnuts.
- Bali-ya (バリ島雑貨). website. ☎ 0185-54-1045. 秋田県能代市落合上前田179. (map). Great Bali-themed cafe to beat the heat in the summertime. Creative coffees served, small food plates available. Great mango kaki-gori in the summertime. 11:00-20:00.
- Iki (粋). website. ☎ 0185-53-5243. 〒016-0822, 秋田県能代市東町８−９. (map). Quality Japanese restaurant, very popular on weekends so making a reservation is advised. 17:00-0.00.
- Hokkai-ya (北海屋). ☎ 0185-52-9064. Just off Yanagimachi. 〒016-0825 秋田県能代市柳町８−１０. (map). Hokkaido themed ramen restaurant. 11:00-14:00, 15:30-20:30.
- Hisaya (ヒサヤ大食堂). website. ☎ 0185-54-3229. 秋田県能代市上町７−１８ ヒサヤ大食堂. (map). Little hole in the wall with an intimate feel. Has a small but excellent menu of Chinese food. The master lived in Hong Kong for 5 years, and can speak some Cantonese. Also try some of the red Chinese liquor he's got in a big earthen jug on the bar. 11:45-14:00, 17:30-22:30, closed 2nd, 4th, and 5th Sundays of every month.
- Blueberry (ブルーベリー). ☎ 0185-53-3946. (map). Noshiro's best kept secret. Hidden among the backstreets, this cute (and I do mean *cute*) little eatery serves great pasta and lunch sets. 11:00-15:00, 17:00-21:00, closed Mondays and other times that vary at the owners discretion.
- Hinata (ひなた). 〒016-0822 能代市東町2-24. (map). Cool modern bar in the centre of Noshiro with friendly staff. The honey pizza is recommended.
- July's B (ジュライズビー). ☎ 0185-54-1036. Hidden in the backstreets off of Yanagimachi.. 〒016-0824 秋田県能代市、住吉町１−１８. (map). Very classy and high quality cocktail bar that also does a small selection of Italian foods. The master here ran a cocktail bar in Tokyo before coming to set up in Noshiro. 18:00-22:00.
- Bamboo House (バンブーハウス). website. ☎ 0185-55-3777. 〒016-0825 秋田県能代市柳町８-５. (map). Karaoke bar with several rooms and a decent repertoire. Recommended. 11:00-02:00.
- Hustler (ハスラー). ☎ 0185-54-5905. 〒016-0825 秋田県能代市柳町１０−７. (map). Late night bar that has a pool table and darts, as well as the obligatory karaoke. 22:00-until late.
- Mushroom (マッシュルーム). ☎ 0185-55-3915. 〒016-0825秋田県能代市柳町９－３７. (map). Tiny little family run bar with karaoke. Super friendly and always a fun time. 22:00-until late.
- Yurakunoshuku Noshiro (湯らくの宿のしろ). website. ☎ 185-54-2121. 〒016-0014 秋田県能代市落合字亀谷地1-11. (map). ¥400 Male and female baths change daily and are different. Also has a stone sauna (facility where one rests on towels laid on a slab of heated natural rock). 7:00-22:00.
- Noshiro Yamamoto Sports Resort Center Arinas (能代山本スポーツリゾートセンター アリナス). website. ☎ 0185-54-9200. 〒016-0014 秋田県能代市落合字下台２番地１. (map). ¥300 More simply known as "Arinas", this is the sports centre for the area. Onsen has one bath and a sauna room. Facility includes a training room, large gymnasium, indoor running track and swimming pool.
- Funasawa Onsen (船沢温泉). ☎ 0185-54-4838. 〒016-0179 秋田県能代市浅内字船沢73-125. (map). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Takeda Kikū-ya Okiname (武田桔梗屋翁飴本舗). website. ☎ 0185-52-5853. 〒016-0821 秋田県能代市畠町６−８. (map). Headquarters of the famous Noshiro confectionary, Okiname (翁飴). Founded in 1592, every year Okiname is given to the Emperor of Japan. Production techniques mean mass production is not possible, and as it is a popular gift it can be very difficult to get at the end of the year. 09:00-18:30. Closed on Sundays.
- Noshiro Woodwork Market (のしろ木工品市場). website. ☎ 0185-88-8592. 〒016-0831 秋田県能代市元町５−１６. (map). Fantastically friendly shop that makes wood products made from local timber. Perfect place to come for genuine mementos of Noshiro. 10:00-18:00.
- Bike Shop Oga (自転車のおが). website. ☎ 0185-52-5574. 〒016-0825 秋田県能代市柳町６−１４. (map). Sells the standard mamachari style bikes (with a wide selection of colours), as well as many types of high end and specialist bikes. Don't be confused by the name of the shop; it is in central Noshiro on Yanagimachi. Also does repairs and maintenance. Open until 7pm most days.
- Asahi Gakki (アサヒ楽器). website. ☎ 0185-52-2275. 〒016-0821 秋田県能代市畠町９−３. (map). Music shop that sells instruments, equipment, sheet music. There is also a music studio that you can rent by the hour. Studio includes a drum kit, piano, and amps. Book ahead to turn it up to eleven. 09:00-18:00.
- Tenyō Sake Ten (天洋酒店). website. ☎ 0185-52-3722. 〒016-0824 秋田県能代市住吉町９−２２. (map). Noshiro's finest Sake shop. The owner, Mr Asano, is generous and will offer you a taster of just about everything in store before you buy. Open until 7pm.
- Smoker's House (スモーカーズハウス). ☎ 0185-52-6620. On the 101 opposite Second Street.. 〒016-0862 秋田県能代市寿域長根２６−７. (map). A Tobacco and Liquor shop that also has a small selection of cigars.
- Uniqlo (ユニクロ). ☎ 0185-89-2536. At the Across Shopping Plaza on the edge of Noshiro. ユニクロ 秋田アクロス能代店. (map). Famous clothing retailer with a selection of mostly casual clothes for both men and women 10am-8pm.
- Tokyo Shoe Outlet Center (東京靴流通センター). website. ☎ 0185-89-1112. At the Across Shopping Plaza next to Daiso. 〒016-0188 秋田県能代市寺向87 アクロス能代内. (map). A large shoe department store with a large selection of shoes and boots for men and women. The place to come for everything from snow boots, to shoes to sports shoes. Even has some larger western sizes and at reasonable prices. 10am-8pm.
- Takeda Sports (タケダスポーツ). website. ☎ 0185-52-5201. 〒016-0855 秋田県能代市西大瀬３０−３. (map). The nationwide sports store 10:00-20:00.
- AEON (イオン). ☎ 0185-55-2355. 〒016-0825 秋田県能代市柳町１１−１. (map). Multi storey department store that includes a supermarket on the ground floor. Formerly Justco, and often still referred to as such.
- Second Street (セカンドストリート). website. ☎ 0185-54-7771. 016-0872 秋田県能代市字芝童森12番地2. (map). The national chain of used shops that buys and sells clothes, furniture, musical instruments, white goods, and much more. 10:00-20:00.
3 locations in Noshiro 
- Book Off (ブックオフ). ☎ 0185-89-7060. 〒016-0872, 秋田県能代市字芝童森4−3. (map). Used-book store selling (& buying) literary titles to comics & magazines, plus DVDs, CDs & games
- Homac (DCMホーマッく). ☎ 0185-54-2641. 〒016-0855 秋田県能代市西大瀬、字西大瀬18-1. (map).
- Minami Dentist (みなみ歯科). website. ☎ 0185-52-8117. 〒016-0171, 秋田県能代市河戸川字大須賀52−3. (map). The dentist here speaks excellent English, has state of the art equipment, and will get you in and out in a hurry. A cleaning and polishing of your teeth should run between 2000-3000 yen. It is also worth noting that the dentist, like most qualified dentists in Japan, is also a gums specialist-- so if you have any gum problems he is worth consulting as well.
Senior high schools
- Noshiro High School (能代高等学校)
- Noshiro Shoyo High School (能代松陽高等学校)
- Noshiro Technical High School (能代工業高等学校)
- Noshiro Nishi High School (能代西高等学校)
- Futatsui High School (二ツ井高等学校)
Junior high schools
- Noshiro Dai Ichi Junior High School (能代第一中学校)
- Noshiro Dai Ni Junior High School (能代第二中学校)
- Noshiro Higashi Junior High School (能代東中学校)
- Shinonome Junior High School (東雲中学校)
- Noshiro Minami Junior High School (能代南中学校)
- Tokiwa Junior High School (常盤中学校)
- Futatsui Junior High School (二ツ井中学校)
- Teijō Nishi Elementary School (渟城西小学校)
- Teijō Minami Elementary School (渟城南小学校)
- Daiyon Elementary School (第四小学校)
- Daigo Elementary School (第五小学校)
- Mukai Noshiro Elementary School (向能代小学校)
- Honokise Elementary School (朴瀬小学校)
- Takō Elementary School (竹生小学校)
- Sōtoku Elementary School (崇徳小学校)
- Tsurugata Elementary School (鶴形小学校)
- Asanai Elementary School (浅内小学校)
- Tokiwa Elementary School (常盤小学校)
- Futatsui Elementary School (二ツ井小学校)
- Noshiro Support School (能代支援学校)
- Noshiro Official Website (English)
- Noshiro official website (Japanese)
- Welcome to Noshiro
- Noshiro Super Links (Japanese) Extremely comprehensive list of links to just about every store and restaurant in Noshiro, separated by category.
|Northern Akita||Fujisato • Happō • Kamikoani • Kazuno • Kitaakita • Kosaka • Mitane • Noshiro • Ōdate|
|Central Akita||Akita City • Gojōme • Hachirōgata • Ikawa • Katagami • Oga • Ōgata • Semboku|
|Southern Akita||Daisen • Higashinaruse • Misato • Nikaho • Ugo • Yokote • Yurihonjō • Yuzawa|