- Make two teams. On opposite sides of the gym, each team lines up 5 or 10 yards from the gym wall and joins hands.
- Teams alternate. One team shouts out, "Red Rover Red Rover, sent Mike over."
- Mike (or whoever's name is called) must run across the gym.
- Mike tries to break through the clasped arms somehow. If he succeeds, he goes back to his team. If he fails, he joins the team who just called him.
- Give each person a number or vocabulary word. Then students call the runner by key word, not by name.
- This game seems like it might lead to injury, yet somehow when I played it as a kid we never had injuries. Anyway, don't get your students hurt!