Yamagata (山形県; -ken) is the prefecture directly south of Akita. It is in the Tohoku region of Japan. There was a station master goat in Yamagata. Uzen-komatsu eki used to be home to a station master goat, who is now retired and lives at the highschool.
- Zao Mountain. Has an outdoor onsen and amazing ski resort.
- Yamadera (山寺). A short mountain hike with many temples. The peak commands a breathtaking view.Yamadera can be seen in a couple of hours, even taking it easy. To make a day trip of it, take the train one stop further towards Sendai to Omoshiroyama (面白山), and follow the path leading off from the left side of the platform. This is the start of a path through a gorge, past waterfalls and weirs, over bridges and through holes in the rocks following the path of a small river. This picturesque walk comes to an end after a walk of about 45 minutes at some steps which lead up to a paved road. Follow this road downhill (to the right) for about 60 minutes and you will arrive at Yamadera. 
- Jū-rakan-iwa (十六羅漢岩). See the 16 rakan carved into the coastal rocks. The rakan were carved around 1865. Location.
- Tobishima Island (飛島). The only access to this island is from Sakata. Depending on the time of year you choose to visit this island, there may be 1, 2 or 3 ferries per day. A round trip ticket costs ¥4,080. There is a free bike rental service April 1st to October 31st. Homepage (Japanese and English, though the English is not very helpful).
- Kamo Kurage Aquarium (鶴岡市立加茂水族館). Holds the Guinness World Record for housing more than 35 different species of Jellyfish. They also house seals, fresh and saltwater fish, and much more. One of the coolest features is certainly the giant Moon Jellyfish tank. Open 9:00 - 17:00 year-round; 18:00 closing time during summer (7/18~8/31). Map of location on website
- Kaminoyama Costco Opened Thursday, August 20th, 2015 in Kaminoyama. The closest Costco location for Akita. Membership is 4000 yen annually (excluding tax). If you have a Costco membership card from your home country, it is valid at any worldwide location. Members are allowed to bring up to 2 guest, under 18 for free, however the card holder must pay for purchases. Costco accepts cash, Costco Orico MasterCard and American Express. You can also purchase discounted gas and kerosene with a membership, methods of payment include prepaid cards (sold at Costco), Costco Orico MasterCard and American Express only. Prepaid cards can be refilled inside Costco near the food court. There is no way to refill your card outside at Costco's gas station.
|Akita JET Travel Guide|
|Tohoku||Aomori • Akita • Fukushima • Iwate • Miyagi • Yamagata|
|Kanto||Chiba • Gunma • Ibaraki • Kanagawa • Saitama • Tochigi • Tokyo|
|Chubu||Aichi • Fukui • Gifu • Ishikawa • Mie • Nagano • Niigata • Shizuoka • Toyama • Yamanashi|
|Kansai||Hyogo • Kyoto • Nara • Osaka • Shiga • Wakayama|
|Chugoku||Hiroshima • Okayama • Shimane • Tottori • Yamaguchi|
|Shikoku||Ehime • Kagawa • Kōchi • Tokushima|
|Kyushu||Fukuoka • Kagoshima • Kumamoto • Miyazaki • Nagasaki • Ōita • Saga • Okinawa|