|Yurihonjō in Akita|
|Population||78,966 (as of 2017-05-30)|
|Tree||Japanese Zelkova (ケヤキ)|
|Flower||Cherry Blossom (さくら)|
|Mayor||Makoto Hasebe (長谷部 誠)|
|Address||17 Ozaki Yurihonjō-shi,|
Akita 015-8501 (〒015-8501 秋田県
Yurihonjo was founded on 22nd March, 2005 when the former cities of Honjō and Iwaki, and the former towns of Chōkai, Higashiyuri, Nishime, Ouchi, Yashima and Yuri all merged together. After the merger, Yurihonjo became the largest municipality in Akita by area.
As Yurihonjo is comprised of numerous towns, each town has their own local events. For a more comprehensive list, please see Yurihonjo festivals. Some of the bigger events and festivals in Yurihonjo include;
- Naked Festival, 「裸まいり」where men and boys walk through the snow wearing very little and carrying large objects, takes place each January in Honjō.
- Yurihonjo Fireworks Festival, 「由利本荘花火大会」held in the last weekend in July. A large fireworks festival along the river in Honjo.
- Iris Carnival, 「菖蒲カーニバル」a festival held in Honjo park in July. Music performances and festival food inside the park and traditional Japanese dances in the street outside the park.
- Honjo Sakura Festival, 「本荘さくら祭り」held in Honjo Park in April. People relax and take pictures under the cherry blossoms and eat festival food.
- Iwaki Harbor Festival, 「岩城ふれあい港まつり」a fireworks festival held in the seaside town of Iwaki.
- Ski Areas Open, December marks the start of the ski season. Yurihonjo's biggest ski slop is Yashima Ski Slope (矢島スキー場)
Some good sightseeing spots in Yurihonjō are Honjō Park, Akata Giant Buddha, One Thousand Jizo, Hottai Falls, and Kofuen Sumo Ring. See the individual town pages for more. The imposing Mount Chōkai is Yurihonjo's most dominant geological feature, and can be climbed from a trailhead in Yashima.
Some of the more famous onsen in the city are Poporokko (in Ouchi), Minato no Yu (in Iwaki), and Tsurumai Onsen (by Honjo Park). See Yurihonjo onsen for an extensive listing of bath houses.
Board of Education
The Yurihonjō Board of Education (tel. 0184-32-1306, fax 0184-33-3381) is located in Nishime, and it is the main office for the city. There are branch offices in Yurihonjo's towns and villages.
Yurihonjō City Board of Education 40-61 Bentenmae, Numata, Nishime Yurihonjō, Akita 015-0692 JAPAN
由利本荘市教育委員会 日本 〒015-0692 秋田県由利本荘市西目町沼田字弁天前40-61
Workplace internet filtering
Public buildings in Yurihonjo (including schools) have filtered internet. Certain words cannot appear in a page title (for example, girl, pink, and adult). If you browse to a blocked page, you will get the following error message: IWSSセキュリティイベント（in-proxy）. It is possible to circumvent the filters using https://proxify.com/, and though perhaps administrators would disapprove of this, so far none have.
Sport clubs available in the Yurohonjo area are:
- Honjo Kyudo Dojo beside Honjo Minami JHS. Every Wednesday 7:00pm - 9:00pm.
- http://www.yurihonjo-kanko.jp/. Yurihonjō Tourist Association. Japanese.
- https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Yurihonjo. Yurihonjō travel guide.
- Yurihonjō Bus Schedules. Japanese.
- Yurihonjō official website. Japanese.
- Yurihonjō official guidebook. Pictures of tourist spots and a few maps. 12MB, Japanese.
- . Pictures of Yurihonjō on Wikimedia Commons.
|Chōkai • Higashiyuri • Honjō • Iwaki • Nishime • Ouchi • Yashima • Yuri|
|Northern Akita||Fujisato • Happō • Kamikoani • Kazuno • Kitaakita • Kosaka • Mitane • Noshiro • Ōdate|
|Central Akita||Akita City • Gojōme • Hachirōgata • Ikawa • Katagami • Oga • Ōgata • Semboku|
|Southern Akita||Daisen • Higashinaruse • Misato • Nikaho • Ugo • Yokote • Yurihonjō • Yuzawa|