From Akita Wiki
Charity Akita (チャリティ秋田) is a charity fundraising and volunteer organization comprised of ALTs and residents of Akita who strive to create connections between foreign expats and the wider Japanese community. They organize fundraising events for charities, create events to welcome newcomers into Akita prefecture, and otherwise seek to work towards grassroots internationalization by forming meaningful relationships.
|Year||Executive Director||Deputy Director||Director of Finance||Secretary||Community Liaison||Admin. Assistant||Social Media Manager|
|2017-2018||Maeleen Arce||Amber Shamma||Peter Hall||—||—||—||Derek Bonilla|
|2016-2017||Michael Aubrey||Maeleen Arce||Jessica Fareri||Domonique Owens||Mihoko Kakuta||Joey Griggs||—|
To get updates about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities sign up for the Charity Akita mailing list.
You can also contact Charity Akita directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Welcome Party (September)
- Akita Orientation Tatami Party (Mid August) - The new cats of Akita gather during their first night of orientation for a night of good food and drink, all for a great cause.
- Lake Tazawa Camping (Late September) - Camping out under the stars on the shore of Lake Tazawa is a perennial good time.
- Halloween Dance Party (Late October) - AAJ's largest fundraising event, roughly 200 people descend on Akita City for a night of costumed revelry.
- Mid-Year tatami Party (Mid October) - Same as the orientation tatami party, this one is held in the education center on the first evening of the ALT Skill Development Conference.
- Christmas Caroling (Mid December) - A relatively recent development, JETs gather in from of Akita station for an afternoon to sing Christmas carols for passersby in the hopes of raising money for a nearby orphanage.
- Appi Ski Trip (February) - Appi Ski Resort in Iwate hosts JETs for a weekend while they show off their skills on the slopes.
- St. Patrick's Day Party (March) - Usually held around St. Patrick's Day at Club LIVESPACE四階 in Akita City. Decorations and costumes are all about the green.
- Akita International Sumo Basho (Late June) - The Akita Community's longest running event, participants from all around Tohoku (ALTs and Japanese) come together to learn about the rules of sumo, and get a chance to battle it out in the ring for a chance at the title of Yokozuna.
- Goodbye Party (July)
In order to reduce rental costs of the charity events, the following equipment was purchased and is currently owned by all the JETs in Akita. All this equipment was purchased since the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami (mainly by Wil Lentze) and paid for by the events themselves.
These pages explain how to organise and run the charity events.
- Halloween Party event procedure
- St. Patrick's Day Party event procedure
- Goodbye Party event procedure
- Akita International Sumo Basho event procedure