From Akita Wiki
Prefecture-wide conferences are usually held at the Akita Prefectural Education Center (秋田県総合教育センター) in Tenno, slightly north of Akita City. Block meetings are held at different locations depending on your block.
July, August, and September. The 3 day Tokyo conference for new JETs.
- 2016 Group A: July 27-29
- 2016 Group B: August 3-5
- Information from Past Tokyo Orientations.
August. This conference for new JETs has information on Akita, lesson planning ideas, travel, etc.
- Akita Orientation 2017. August 16-17.
- Akita Orientation 2016. August 16-17.
- Akita Orientation 2015. August 17-18.
- Akita Orientation 2014. August 18-19.
- Akita Orientation 2013. August 28-29.
- Akita Orientation 2012. August 23-24.
- Akita Orientation 2011. August 8-9.
- Akita Orientation 2010. August 12-13.
- Akita Orientation 2009. August 10-11.
- Akita Orientation 2008. August 18-19.
Skills Development Conference
October. Up until 2011 this was known as the Mid-Year Conference due it it being held halfway into the Japanese fiscal year. In 2011 CLAIR revised their guidelines and goals, giving us the brand new Skills Development Conference, or SDC. This two-day conference includes many JTEs as well as the JETs. Presentations range from increasing communication between JTEs and JETs, lesson ideas, improving the quality of team teaching, etc.
- Skills Development Conference 2017. October 24.
- Skills Development Conference 2016. October 24-25.
- Skills Development Conference 2015. October 26-27.
- Skills Development Conference 2014. October 27-28.
- Skills Development Conference 2013. October 28-29.
- Skills Development Conference 2012. October 18-19.
- Skills Development Conference 2011. October 13-14.
- Mid-Year Conference 2010. October 14-15.
- Mid-Year Conference 2009. October 15-16.
- Mid-Year Conference 2008. October 27-28.
|Skills Development Conference|
|Mid-Year Conference||2008 • 2009 • 2010|
|Skills Development Conference||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018||2019|
January. These one day conferences provide a forum for exchanging teaching ideas, tips to survive and thrive in winter, and also are a great way to reconnect with local JETs after the holidays. The PAs also use this opportunity to talk to the JET community about the recontracting decision (unless the deadline has passed).
- Block Meetings 2018
- Block Meetings 2017
- Block Meetings 2016
- Block Meetings 2015
- Block Meetings 2014
- Block Meetings 2013
- Block Meetings 2012
- Block Meetings 2011
Akita ReOrientation Conference
Often referred to as R&R, this one day conference is held in May or June. R&R is a conference with only JETs that focuses largely on helping those leaving the JET Program (Returners) and making new goals for those who are going to stay in Akita one more year (Recontractors).
- Akita ReOrientation Conference 2018. May 21.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2017. May 26.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2016. May 30.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2015. June 8.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2014. June 6.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2013. June 6.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2012. June 8.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2011. June 6.
- Returners and Recontractors Conference 2010. June 14.
|Akita ReOrientation Conference|
|Returners & Recontractors Conference||2010||2011||2012||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017|
|Akita ReOrientation Conference||2018||2019|
There are also several other conferences and seminars that are run by either CLAIR or organizations that are not directly related to Akita Prefecture. Whether or not you can attend and how much these conferences will cost you depends on your contracting organization.
Translation/Interpretation Course Training Seminar. A week-long seminar aimed at developing interpreting and overall Japanese language skills. Widely thought to be the best language course that CLAIR offers. More info can be found here.
- 2011-2012: December 5-9 at the Japan Intercultural Academy of Municipalities (JIAM), Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture.
Linguistics/Pedagogy Course Training Seminar. A week-long seminar aimed at acquiring the fundamentals of how to teach Japanese as a foreign language. More info can be found here. (scroll down)
- 2011-2012: January 16-20 at the Japan Intercultural Academy of Municipalities (JIAM), Otsu City, Shiga.
After JET Conference (formerly known as the Conference for Returning JETs). (Not to be confused with Akita's Returners and Recontractors Conference held in May/June!) This is a 2 day conference for those completing their tenure on the JET Programme. It is held at the Tokyo Bay Makuhari Hotel in Chiba. Handouts from the 2015 conference and information regarding the 2016 conference can be found here. The JET Programme Career Fair is also held concurrently at the After JET Conference.
- 2015-2016: March 3-4 2016
Training Program on Teaching Methods for JETs. Run by the Japan Foundation Japanese-Language Institute, this program is aimed towards people who want to become Japanese language teachers in the future. This program is not for studying Japanese.
Held in Urawa City, Saitama Prefecture. Information for the 2012 program can be found here.
- 2011-2012: March 21-27