Life in Akita
The following pages explain about important paperwork and topics JETs may encounter living and working in Akita.
Living in Akita
- Akita JET map
- Computers and phones
- Akita JET T-shirt
- Charity Akita
- Involvement opportunities - Join fellow ALTs in community projects or start one of your own.
- Language and culture
- Akita animals
- Akita Joho - Akita's YouTube Channel
- Japanese Beauty Products
- Churches in Akita
Health and Safety
Passports, visas, and foreign registration
- The new residency management system. Details of the system introduced in July 2012.
- Visa extension. Necessary for 4th year JETs.
- Akita International Association. This group runs a hotline on Thursdays to assist foreign residents. Call them at 018-884-7050 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registering with Home Country Embassy
- Transferring ownership of a car. Make sure you take the correct steps when selling or buying a car from someone.
- Where in the World is Sugichi?
|Traveling in Japan|
|Cars||Driving||Driving • Winter driving • Speeding tickets • Drinking and driving • Roadside Station|
|Licenses||International Driving Permit • Japanese Licence Transition (Car Course Elements) • Renewing your Japanese license|
|Acquisition/Disposal||Buying a Car • Disposing of a Car|
|Other Transport||Trains • Akita Nairiku Line • Shinkansen • Buses • Ferries|
|Airports||Narita International Airport • Haneda Airport • Akita Airport • Odate-Noshiro Airport • Sendai Airport • Kansai Airport|
|Leaving the Country||Residence Card • Travel insurance • Buying flights & travel agents|
|Other Topics||Getting to Tokyo • Traveling in and out of Japan • Akita JET travel guide|
- Book exchange
- Music festivals. Music festivals all over Japan.
- Hanami - Cherry blossom viewing
|Entertainment in Akita|
|Sports||Running • Bicycling • Soccer • Basketball • Cricket • Ground Golf|
|Martial Arts||Kendo • Kyudo • Judo • Naginatado • Karatedo • Sado|
|Outdoors||Hiking/Climbing • Camping • Rafting • Skiing and snowboarding • Hanami • Shrines and Temples|
|Leisure||Onsen • Movies • Museums and zoos • Arcades • Ramen shops • Akita beer • Sake • Doburoku • Cigar stores • Festivals • Taiko|
|Banks||Banking in Japan • Paychecks • ATMs • GoRemit • Post Office Remittance• Western Union|
|Other||First Year Tax Guide • Second-Fifth Year Tax Guide • Pension Refund • Pension book|
Japan Travel Guide
- Japan Guide has comprehensive information on traveling in Japan.
- Traveling in and out of Japan section has just that.
|Akita JET Travel Guide|
|Tohoku||Aomori • Akita • Fukushima • Iwate • Miyagi • Yamagata|
|Kanto||Chiba • Gunma • Ibaraki • Kanagawa • Saitama • Tochigi • Tokyo|
|Chubu||Aichi • Fukui • Gifu • Ishikawa • Mie • Nagano • Niigata • Shizuoka • Toyama • Yamanashi|
|Kansai||Hyogo • Kyoto • Nara • Osaka • Shiga • Wakayama|
|Chugoku||Hiroshima • Okayama • Shimane • Tottori • Yamaguchi|
|Shikoku||Ehime • Kagawa • Kōchi • Tokushima|
|Kyushu||Fukuoka • Kagoshima • Kumamoto • Miyazaki • Nagasaki • Ōita • Saga • Okinawa|