List of restaurants in Akita City
This is a non-exhaustive list and may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with updated entries.
The following is a list of restaurants and bars in Akita City recommended by members of the Akita JET community.
Bars and Cafes
- Akane-ya Coffee Shop (茜屋珈琲店). ☎ 018-833-2661. Walk straight down the covered plaza between Seibu and Itoyokado from the station's west exit; a small front made of dark wood with a kanji-covered wooden sign. 中通2丁目6-2. (map). A very small coffee shop with a lovely, quiet atmosphere. The coffee is good, and they probably have the best hot chocolate in Akita, if not the whole of Tohoku!
- Babylon By Bus (バビロン・バイ・バス). website. ☎ 018-834-8455. Opposite the Family Mart on Nakadori. 中通5丁目5-32 佐藤ビル 1F. (map). BBB is an ALT favourite in Akita city, and serves up Jamaican-style (the Japanese interpretation) and mixed cuisine, e.g. chapati with aubergine and pork curry, pizza, pasta, salad, etc. Good food, cocktails (including many originals like Iron Zion Lion), and lovely hosts, plus an extensive collection of reggae records. 18:00-04:00, closed Thurs.
- Platz (プラッツ). website. ☎ 018-883-4366. 大町1丁目2-40. (map). German style beer hall with a wide variety of domestic and international brews. 17:00-23:00.
- Tea Lanka (ティー・ランカ). ☎ 018-862-0728. 山王1丁目4-10. (map). Probably Akita's only restaurant that serves Sri Lankan cuisine. They have a killer cup of Chai. 11:30-17:00, closed Sun.
- Timeslice (タイムスライス). ☎ 018-832-2590. Northeast of the station, past the bridge that crosses the tracks coming from Senshu Park. 手形西谷地86-1. (map). A small bar that caters to the collegiate community of nearby Akita University. Serves great drinks and delicious meals that are perfect for a late night out. 18:00-1:00, closed Sun.
- Yuki's Hookah Bar. website. ☎ 018-832-2590. By the eastern bank of Asahi river, next to the Gochome bridge, down the street from Babylon By Bus. 南通亀の町1-5. (map). A cozy bar with good drinks and several music nights a week. Hosts an English Night once per week that is popular among some ALTs and students from Akita International University. 18:30-00:00, closed Wed.
- Housenkaku (鳳仙閣). ☎ 018-834-2835. Southeast from the station's east exit. Cross the street near the entrance to Alve, go straight, then take the first right. 東通仲町2-16. (map). A cozy Taiwanese restaurant that serves a variety of meals for affordable prices. 11:00-14:30, 17:00-23:00.
- Takami Chinese Restaurant (太華味 中国料理). ☎ 080-857-2929. 土崎港中央3丁目9-28. (map). Great food and the standard menu is reasonably priced, especially if you go with friends and share. Worth a stop if you are in a group. Hours unknown.
- Kathmandu Kitchen (カトマンドゥ・キッチン). ☎ 018-863-5595. 大町1丁目5-36. (map). Kathmandu is a sister restaurant of Namaste and offers many of the same Indian and Nepalese style options and all-you-can-eat naan. 11:00-24:00.
- Lakshmi (ラクスミ). ☎ 018-868-1777. 外旭川八幡田121-1. (map). Another one of Akita's delicious Inidian restaurants with all you can eat naan! 11:00-15:00, 17:00-22:00, Sat & Sun 11:00-22:00.
- Naan House Devi (ナン・ハウス・デヴィ). ☎ 018-836-7122. Turn left down the road when crossing the bridge from Senshu to Tegata, just before Akita University. The entrance is up a set of stairs. 手形山崎町3-20−2F. (map). A cozy restaurant that serves delicious Indian cuisine. 11:00-22:00.
- Namaste (ナマステ). ☎ 018-823-5262. 山王2丁目8-22. (map). Offers a variety of Indian and Nepalese style curries with great set options and all-you-can-eat naan. 11:00-24:00.
- Peacock (ピーコック). website. ☎ 018-824-6114. 八橋新川向4-17. (map). A curry restaurant that makes soup like curry. Has a sister restaurant in Yokote called Tandoori Kitchen. Vegetarian options on the menu. 11:30-15:00, 17:00-22:00, Sat & Sun 11:30-21:00.
- Homare Sushi (Homarezushi) (誉寿司). website. ☎ 018-862-5065. 保戸野鉄砲町2-21. (map). Homarezushi has served Edo-style sushi for over 20 years. Their anago (conger eel) is famous within the prefecture and can even be bought at the airport. The husband and wife who own the restaurant don't speak English, but they'll go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Hours unknown.
- Kantaro (函太郎). website. ☎ 018-853-0677. 広面樋ノ沖96-1. (map). Excellent sushi restaurant that is a little expensive, but the large pieces of fish make it well worthwhile. 11:00-21:30.
- Machine Gun Ramen (ラーメン・マシン・ガン). 広面昼寝46-1 ヴィーナス店舗B1F. (map). If you are looking for a ramen that will fill you up, look no further than Machine Gun Ramen. This ramen is defined by its extremely thick noodles, sprouts, garlic (ask for ninniku), and its great tasting soup. Not recommended for people who dislike garlic and or being super full. 11:00-15:00, 18:00-21:00.
- Marutoichi (マルトイチ魚安商店). website. ☎ 018-853-8687. Southeast of the station, along Minami Odori. 東通8丁目1-7. (map). A fun conveyor belt sushi restaurant with a decent menu and delicious food. Has a convenient digital menu that can call a mini-shinkansen train to your table to deliver your order. 11:00-22:00, closed Wed.
- Tokyo Manpuku Ramen (東京まんぷくラーメン). ☎ 018-835-1890. Head toward the river on Minami dori, as if coming from the station. It will be on your left slightly after the river. 南通亀の町1-10. (map). One of several branches of this Akita-wide chain. Open late, various types of ramen at a decent price. Spicy miso is good, but the Tantanmen is awesome. 11:00-3:00, Sun 11:00-0:00.
- Tonkatsu Abe (とんかつあべ). ☎ 018-835-8536. Behind Akita Station, past the church. 手形新栄町2-15. (map). Affectionately known by JETs as "Chicken 'n Cheese", this mom and pop shop has been a favorite of foreign students and ALT's in Akita City for many years. The chicken cheese katsu is highly recommended. 11:00-15:00, 17:30-21:00, closed Mon.
- Artichoke (アーティチョーク). ☎ 018-893-4566. Go straight out the west exit of Akita Station, down the flight stairs, and turn left at the Sunkus. Artichoke is on the left.. 秋田県秋田市中通2-6-44 new金座街ビル１Ｆ. Artichoke serves the best Italian food in the prefecture. Whether you're looking for a romantic, late-night snack over wine, or a full multi-course meal, Artichoke is the place to go. The atmosphere and wine selection in this venue are top-notch. They fill up on the weekends, so best to make a reservation beforehand.
- Blue Nile (ブルー・ナイル). ☎ 018-846-0791. 土崎港東1丁目2-79. (map). Intriguing decor, friendly English-speaking owner, and distinctly non-Japanese food. Possibly the only place to get African food in Akita. 10:00-21:00, closed 2nd and 4th Sat, Sun, and holidays..
- La Grotta (ラ・グロッタ). website. ☎ 018-887-4530. Head straight out the West exit of Akita Station and keep going a few blocks. The entrance is on the left, down a flight of stairs from sidewalk level. 中道2丁目2-7 小野時計店タイムブリッジビルB1F. (map). Higher-end Italian food, still not truly Italian but definitely better than your average Japanese "Italian" place. Goes beyond the common pizza-and-pasta menu with various well-prepared meat and fish dishes. Try the mustard chicken and the three-color garlic bread. 11:30-15:00, 17:00-22:00, 11:30-15:00, 17:00-23:30 Fri & Sat, 11:30-21:00 Sun & holidays, closed Mon.
- Nakadori Satisfaction (中通りサティスファクション). ☎ 018-893-4886. A 10 minute walk southwest from the station. 中通6丁目1-5. (map). Best burger joint in the prefecture. Serves burgers and fries just like you remember from back home. 11:30–21:00, 11:30-18:00 Sun, closed Thurs.
- National chains. There are many branches of national chain restaurants in Akita City, including Gusto, Mos Burger, McDonald's, Lotteria, Starbucks, Yoshinoya, Sukiya, Doutor, Murasaki (村さ来), Daishoen (大昌園), Trenta (トレンタ), Wara Wara, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Coco's