The Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT) is a nonprofit organisation dedicated to the improvement of language teaching and learning with nearly 3,000 members in chapters and affiliates across Japan as well as members abroad.
Akita JALT is part of the national Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT). The group usually meets on the 4th Saturday of every month in Akita City or Yurihonjo. Information about Akita JALT and meetings can be found at:
As a member of JALT you receive
- JALT's bimonthly magazine, The Language Teacher, which includes feature articles, teaching tips, book reviews, meeting and conference announcements, and job advertisements.
- JALT Journal, our research journal, which contains practical and theoretical articles, research reports and book reviews.
- Member-rate admission to JALT conferences, including the annual international conference, as well as advance conference information.
- The chance to join one of JALT's Special Interest Groups. For 1,500 yen, you can join a community that shares your academic interest, help the SIG produce its publications and put on events, and get to know some great people.
- Free or discounted admission to Chapter and SIG events.
- Discounts at JALT's Apple Store.
- The opportunity to learn new skills and make new friends as you work on interesting projects with other JALT members - JALT activities, from the planning and holding of Chapter or SIG events, the producing of a JALT or SIG publication, and the planning or managing of our conferences, are all made possible by our volunteers.
Annual Membership Fees
- Regular member: 10,000 yen
- Five-year membership: 40,000 yen
- Joint member (2 people who share the same address): 8,500 yen per person
- Student member (Available to FULL-TIME students of undergraduate/graduate universities and colleges in Japan. Verification required): 6,000 yen
- Group member: (6,500 yen per person for a group of 5 or more; one copy of each publication is sent to the group address)
- SIGs: Special Interest Group (SIG) membership is 1,500 yen for each SIG you join
The Language Teacher
The Language Teacher, the bimonthly publication of the Japan Association for Language Teaching, publishes articles and other material related to language teaching, particularly in an Asian context. TLT also serves the important role of publicizing information about the organization and its many events.
JALT Journal is the research journal of the Japan Association for Language Teaching. It is published semiannually, in May and November, and contains articles, perspectives and reviews.
JALT Conference Proceedings The JALT Conference Proceedings are annual volumes produced by the Conference Publications Committee of the Japan Association for Language Teaching. They stand as a record of our conferences—what was presented, and what was subsequently achieved.