|Roll dice and say the month.|
|Target level||ES 6|
You will need 2 large, soft dice for this game.
- Put a picture representing January on the board. Teach the pronunciation.
- Have the kids whose birthday is January put their name magnets under the picture and practice with just those kids.
- Introduce February, and do same as above.
- Introduce all months in this manner.
- After all months have been taught, review many times.
- Split the class into 2 groups.
- Students make 2 lines and face each other (like baseball players after a game).
- The first student from each group gets a large dice.
- Both kids throw the dice between the rest of the students.
- Students add the 2 numbers together*. The kids who threw the dice can raise their hand to say the name of the month. Other students can help.
- Now the whole team must repeat the month.
- Correct answers get 1 point. Have a JTE keep score.
*Note: The lowest number two dice can give is 2. So January will never be the answer. One way around this is to make a special rule: 6+1=1.
You will also find that May to September are most likely to come up. So you can add extra rules if you feel it's necessary; i.e. 3+3=2, 4+4=11 but that gets quite confusing.