- Make a cut out of a fish for every student (the cut out needs to be large enough to include personal information.
- Attach a paper clip to the snout of each fish cut-out.
- Buy a dowel rod and attach a string to one end with tape or a staple gun.
- Attach a magnet to the other end of the string.
- Make some sort of a barrier over which to cast the "fishing rod". Brownie points for anyone who makes their barrier look like the ocean.
- Pass out the fish cut-outs
- Students write personal information on a cut out of a fish (for example: age, favorite color, I like ___).
- The fish are place in the ‘pond’ (behind the barrier).
- The students, one by one, use the "fishing rod" to "catch" a "fish".
- The student must then figure out the author by using the target language.