Talk:Japanese License Transition

From Akita Wiki

Presence vs Residence

The License Center confirms "presence" within the appropriate jurisdiction, not "residence." While I can't speak for non-US JETs, I would image the difference between "presence" and "residence" is negligible; on a country-level, passport stamps can prove whether you were present/resident in a country or not. But for US license holders, one can hold a license issued by one state but reside in another (i.e. living away from home for university). Even though US license holders are technically residing in their home state while away at university, this "residence" is not applicable for Japanese Licence Conversion purposes; you have to demonstrate that you were physically present in the state which issued your US license (Passport stamps only show presence in the United States, but not which particular state, and therefore are insufficient). --SeanC (talk) 09:20, 22 August 2019 (JST)

Update: Apparently, the License Center no longer requires proof of presence in State for U.S. citizens; only presence in country. i.e. Out-of-state university transcripts are now sufficient as proof of presence for U.S. license holders (it's about mucking time, too). --SeanC (talk) 16:11, 17 March 2020 (JST)


  • The location description could be improved. Where do those directions start from? Douglaspperkins 11:09, 4 March 2009 (JST)
  • I may be wrong, but isn't it possible to drive the course on Sundays outside of the test? I thought I heard you could do that, but it may either be that you can only come walk the course, or that I'm totally wrong. Anyone know?--Begby 15:51, 16 May 2011 (JST)
    • I can't say that I know but you can always call them up and ask. 018-824-3738--CaseyPA 16:13, 16 May 2011 (JST)