Getting your car crushed


There are two locations that you can bring your car to.

1. The Shell station on the route 7 just a few blocks south from the turn to get to the Education Center. (Map)

2. The other location is closer to Akita City.

〒010-0802 Akita-ken, Akita-shi, Sotoasahikawa, Koyachi−130−1 昭和シェル(株)佐孝石油スーパーセルフサコー

Items Required

  • Car tax receipt
  • Shaken Papers
  • Proof of your registered hanko (inkan shomei)
  • Foreign registration card

The process will only take an hour (though the official papers may take a day or two). If you don't speak Japanese you may need to bring a Japanese speaking friend to help you out but the process seems to be pretty painless as long as you have all the correct documents.

The gas stand will take care of the majority of the paperwork and are really friendly. After filling out and stamping a few documents, you will be given ¥5000.

See also

Leaving JET Checklist
V • T
Finances Pension Refund • Pension book • Selling your stuff • Return tickets • Shipping items home • Getting your car crushed
Career Returners Checklist • Preparing your resume • Preparing your Japanese resume • Working in Japan
After Leaving Reverse culture shock
Traveling in Japan
V • T
Cars Driving DrivingWinter drivingSpeeding ticketsDrinking and drivingRoadside Station
Licenses International Driving PermitJapanese Licence Transition (Car Course Elements) • Renewing your Japanese license
Acquisition/Disposal Buying a CarDisposing of a Car
Other Transport Trains • Akita Nairiku Line • Shinkansen • Buses • Ferries
Airports Narita International Airport • Haneda Airport • Akita Airport • Odate-Noshiro Airport • Sendai Airport • Kansai Airport
Leaving the Country Residence Card • Travel insurance • Buying flights & travel agents
Other Topics Getting to Tokyo • Traveling in and out of Japan • Akita JET travel guide