Common colors include: red, orange, yellow, blue, green, purple, brown, black, white, gray, gold, silver.
- Color Touch Game. Touch objects of different colors.
- Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See? Read a story about animals of different colors.
- Fruits Basket. AKA "Color Basket".
- Color matching game. Combining color with other taught topics.
- Rainbow tag.
- Red light green light.
- What color do you like? I like green.
- What's this? Red apple.
- When introducing colors, point to the students shirts and clothing of that color and say "Blue shirt!" The students quickly pick up the adjective property of color and start telling you, "White shoes."
- A coloring worksheet of a rainbow can engage the students. Have them say the colors out loud together as you color in the rainbow one color at a time. This helps calm down wild classes.
- Before you make karuta cards, think about printing something on them that you will teach soon. For example, if you're going to teach shapes, then use a red circle.
- Blues Clues, Sesame Street, and others childrens programs have free podcasts and YouTube videos about color.
|Elementary School Topics|
|User-submitted ideas for vocabulary, games, activities, lesson plans, etc.|
|General Topics||Conversation • Lesson Resources • School Activities • Elementary School Grades|
|Lesson Topics||Fundamentals||Greetings • Introductions • Phonics • Emotions • Weather|
|General||Animals • Adjectives • Body Parts • Clothing • Colors • Food • Shapes • Fruit|
|Time||Time • Days of the Week • Months • Numbers|
|School Life||School Rooms • Classroom Objects • Subjects • Hobbies • Jobs • Sports|
|Locations||Places • Directions • Where • Vehicles • Nature|
|Holidays||Halloween • Christmas|