Charity Akita (チャリティ秋田) is a charity fundraising and volunteer organization comprised of ALTs and residents of Akita who strive to create connections between foreign ex-pats and the wider Japanese community. They organize fundraising events for charities, create events to welcome newcomers into Akita prefecture, and seek to work towards grassroots internationalization by forming meaningful relationships.
Board members are filled by current members of the JET program. They oversee the function of Charity Akita as a whole.
|Treasurer||Secretary||Social Media Coordinator||Location
|2022-2023||June Kim||Stephen Fischer||Tyron Stewart||Sophie Korver||Theresia McGrath||Aiya Perrine||Crawford Wilson|
|2021-2022||—||Amy Lin||Erica White||Amanda Lockwood|
|2019-2020||Vincent Hsu||Danie Manos|
|2018-2019||Peter Hall||Chris Dean||Caty Sullivan||Aki Regan||Asami Jin|
|2017-2018||Maeleen Arce||Amber Shamma||Peter Hall||Stephanie Gross*||Derek Bonilla||—||—|
|2016-2017||Michael Aubrey||Maeleen Arce||Jessica Fareri||Domonique Owens||—||Joey Griggs||Mihoko Kakuta|
*Resigned before end of term
Community Representatives are former ALTs and current Akita residents who work with Charity Akita to provide unique and exciting opportunities for both Foreign Nationals and Japanese Nationals.
|Year||English Cafe representative|
|2022-2023||Yuan Xiaoben (Ben)|
Get updates about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities sign up for the Charity Akita mailing list.
You can also contact Charity Akita directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
English Cafe - Not to be mistaken for English Camp hosted by the Akita Board of Education. English Cafe is hosted by Charity Akita with formal ALTs and Expats to create an opportunity for Japanese nationals to meet with English speakers to create a fun and cohesive environment for learning English and sharing experiences.
- Welcome Party (September)
- Halloween Dance Party (Late October) - CA's largest fundraising event, roughly 200 people descend on Akita City for a night of costumed revelry.
- Christmas Caroling (Mid December) - A relatively recent development, JETs gather in from of Akita station for an afternoon to sing Christmas carols for passersby in the hopes of raising money for a nearby orphanage.
- Appi Ski Trip (February) - Appi Ski Resort in Iwate hosts JETs for a weekend while they show off their skills on the slopes.
- St. Patrick's Day Party (March) - Usually held around St. Patrick's Day. Decorations and costumes are all about the green.
- Akita International Sumo Basho (Late June) - The Akita Community's longest-running event, participants from all around Tohoku (ALTs and Japanese) come together to learn about the rules of sumo and get a chance to battle it out in the ring for a chance at the title of Yokozuna.
- Goodbye Party (July)
- Akita Orientation Tatami Party (Mid August) - The new cats of Akita gather during their first night of orientation for a night of good food and drink, all for a great cause.
- Lake Tazawa Camping (Late September) - Camping out under the stars on the shore of Lake Tazawa is a perennial good time.
- Mid-Year tatami Party (Mid October) - Same as the orientation tatami party, this one is held in the education center on the first evening of the ALT Skill Development Conference.
In order to reduce rental costs of the charity events, the following equipment was purchased and is currently owned by all the JETs in Akita. All this equipment was purchased since the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami (mainly by Wil Lentze) and paid for by the events themselves.
These pages explain how to organise and run the charity events.
- Halloween Party event procedure
- St. Patrick's Day Party event procedure
- Goodbye Party event procedure
- Akita International Sumo Basho event procedure
|Group History||ALT Charity Groups • Room to Read (2006-2011) • Akita Association of JETs (2011-2015) • Charity Akita (2016- )|
by JET Year
|RtR: 2010 • AAJ: 2014 • 2015|
CA: 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020
|Annual Events||Welcome Party • Orientation/SDC Tatami Parties • Lake Tazawa Camping • Halloween Party • Christmas Caroling • Appi Ski Trip • St. Patrick's Day Party • International Sumo Basho • Goodbye Party|
|Event Procedures||Charity Akita Event Equipment • Halloween Party • St. Patrick's Day Party • Goodbye Party • International Sumo Basho|
|Venues||Sanbōen • Orange House • Dreamworld • Club AK • Jamhouse • Live space 「四階」 • CLUB GEL • Appi Kōgen Ski Resort|
|One-time Events||Spring Carnival • Summer/80s Dance Parties • Pub Quiz & Soup Curry Night • Black Hearts Masquerade Cocktail Party • Hanami Tea Party|