From Akita Wiki

Driving in Japan isn't as difficult as it seems, but the paperwork and rules of the road might be a cause of concern. After you get used to driving on the left side of the road for a day or two, it is easy to navigate the roads of Akita. But, there are many things you have to do before you even start driving.

Below is a list of things that you should be aware of when you drive in Japan. Before you start driving, make sure that you do have all the things listed such as insurance and an international driving permit from your home country. Also, learn Japan's rules of the road and keep yourself and those around you safe.

Before you start driving

On the road

After 1 year

After 3 years


ETC Cards

Electronic toll collection (ETC) is a system that, once installed in your car, automatically charges your Japanese credit card when you use the expressways. Once this system is set up, using the expressways are more convenient and much cheaper. The cost of the using the expressways has fluctuated over the past few years.

There are a few options when it comes to ETC. The easiest route for most Japanese is to get a credit card that links to ETC. This can be problematic for ALTs, as it is more difficult for us to get credit cards. Lawson's do however offer credit cards to everyone through their Credit Saison, Mizuho Bank. Debit cards like AEON's WAON card are another option. Rakuten credit cards are also relatively painless for ALTs to acquire. ANA also offers credit cards which you can pair with an ANA frequent flier account to accrue miles with purchases.

There is also an non-credit option available. You can apply for the "ETC personal card" which has only the ETC function. The up-side is that you don't have to go through the hassle of getting a credit card here. The down-side is that it requires a deposit, usually about 40,000yen (all of which you get back upon canceling the card.) The ETC personal card allows you to link your ETC card to your bank account.

See Also

Traveling in Japan
V • T
Cars Driving DrivingWinter DrivingSpeeding TicketsDrinking and DrivingRoadside Station
Licenses International Driving PermitJapanese Licence Transition (Test Course Elements) • Renewing your Japanese License
Acquisition/Disposal Buying a CarTransferring Ownership of a CarDisposing of a Car
Other Transport Trains • Akita Nairiku Line • Shinkansen • Buses • Ferries
Airports Akita AirportOdate-Noshiro AirportNarita International AirportHaneda AirportSendai AirportKansai Airport
Leaving the Country Traveling in and out of Japan • Residence Card • Visa ExtensionTravel Insurance • Buying Flights & Travel Agents
Other Topics Exploring AkitaGetting to Tokyo • Akita JET travel guideWhere in the World is Sugichi?Quirky Japan
Roads in Akita
V • T
Highways Route 7 • Route 13 • Route 46 • Route 103 • Route 105 • Route 341
Expressways Akita Expressway • Nihonkai Tohoku Expressway