Disposing of a Car

From Akita Wiki


There are two locations that you can bring your car to.

1. The Shell station on the route 7 just a few blocks south from the turn to get to the Education Center. (Map)

2. The other location is closer to Akita City.

〒010-0802 Akita-ken, Akita-shi, Sotoasahikawa, Koyachi−130−1 昭和シェル(株)佐孝石油スーパーセルフサコー

Or if you're buying a new car, the car shop will handle disposing of the old one. In most cases, the disposal company or car shop will handle all of the confusing paperwork, so all you need to do is give them the right papers, the car and car keys, and stamp some forms.

Items Required

  • Vehicle Inspection Certificate. You should give this to them.
  • Front and back license plates. These are on the car.
  • Certificate of disposal. They should get this on their own.
  • Automobile tax certificate. A receipt showing you paid annual car tax.
  • Disposal authorization letter. They may ask you to sign and stamp a form authorizing them to dispose of the car.
  • Certificate of inkan impression. Can be obtained at your town office.
  • Inkan. So you can stamp the relevant forms.
  • Foreign registration card. Just in case

The process will only take an hour (though the official papers may take a day or two). If you don't speak Japanese you may need to bring a Japanese speaking friend to help you out but the process seems to be pretty painless as long as you have all the correct documents.

The gas stand will take care of the majority of the paperwork and are really friendly. After filling out and stamping a few documents, you will be given ¥5000.

See also

Leaving JET Checklist
V • T
Preparations Leaving JET • Selling your stuff • Return tickets • Shipping items home
Pension Pension Refund • Basic Pension Number • Pension book
Cars Transferring Ownership of a Car • Disposing of a Car
Career Returners Checklist • Preparing your resume • Preparing your Japanese resume • Working in Japan
After Leaving Reverse culture shock
Traveling in Japan
V • T
Cars Driving DrivingWinter DrivingDriving InfractionsRoadside Station
Licenses International Driving PermitJapanese License Transition (Test Course ElementsTest Course Maps) • Renewing your Japanese License
Ownership Buying a CarLeasing a carTransferring Ownership of a CarDisposing of a CarUser Shaken
Other Transport Trains • Akita Nairiku Line • Shinkansen • Buses • Ferries
Airports Akita AirportOdate-Noshiro AirportNarita International AirportHaneda AirportSendai AirportKansai Airport
Leaving the Country Traveling in and out of Japan • Residence Card • Visa ExtensionTravel Insurance • Buying Flights & Travel Agents
Other Topics Exploring AkitaGetting to Tokyo • Akita JET travel guideWhere in the World is Sugichi?Quirky Japan