Disposing of a Car
There are two locations that you can bring your car to.
2. The other location is closer to Akita City.
〒010-0802 Akita-ken, Akita-shi, Sotoasahikawa, Koyachi−130−1 昭和シェル（株）佐孝石油スーパーセルフサコー
Or if you're buying a new car, the car shop will handle disposing of the old one. In most cases, the disposal company or car shop will handle all of the confusing paperwork, so all you need to do is give them the right papers, the car and car keys, and stamp some forms.
- Vehicle Inspection Certificate. You should give this to them.
- Front and back license plates. These are on the car.
- Certificate of disposal. They should get this on their own.
- Automobile tax certificate. A receipt showing you paid annual car tax.
- Disposal authorization letter. They may ask you to sign and stamp a form authorizing them to dispose of the car.
- Certificate of inkan impression. Can be obtained at your town office.
- Inkan. So you can stamp the relevant forms.
- Foreign registration card. Just in case
The process will only take an hour (though the official papers may take a day or two). If you don't speak Japanese you may need to bring a Japanese speaking friend to help you out but the process seems to be pretty painless as long as you have all the correct documents.
The gas stand will take care of the majority of the paperwork and are really friendly. After filling out and stamping a few documents, you will be given ¥5000.
|Leaving JET Checklist|
|Finances||Pension Refund • Pension book • Selling your stuff • Return tickets • Shipping items home • Disposing of a Car|
|Career||Returners Checklist • Preparing your resume • Preparing your Japanese resume • Working in Japan|
|After Leaving||Reverse culture shock|
|Traveling in Japan|
|Cars||Driving||Driving • Winter Driving • Speeding Tickets • Drinking and Driving • Roadside Station|
|Licenses||International Driving Permit • Japanese Licence Transition (Test Course Elements) • Renewing your Japanese License|
|Acquisition/Disposal||Buying a Car • Transferring Ownership of a Car • Disposing of a Car|
|Other Transport||Trains • Akita Nairiku Line • Shinkansen • Buses • Ferries|
|Airports||Akita Airport • Odate-Noshiro Airport • Narita International Airport • Haneda Airport • Sendai Airport • Kansai Airport|
|Leaving the Country||Residence Card • Visa Extension • Travel Insurance • Buying Flights & Travel Agents|
|Other Topics||Exploring Akita • Getting to Tokyo • Traveling in and out of Japan • Akita JET travel guide • Where in the World is Sugichi? • Quirky Japan|