Transferring Ownership of a Car
Selling or purchasing a car requires more than just an agreement between you and the purchaser. You’ll have to officially transfer the ownership, which requires getting hold of the below items, so be sure that the purchaser of your car is aware of them. Please note that the forms may vary by municipality, so check if you must follow any local additional local regulations.
Some general paperwork is required. There are additional requirements for buyers and sellers.
- OCR #2 Sheet. The car ownership transfer application form.
From the seller
- Car registration payment receipt.
- Proof of the transfer of car ownership.
- Certificate of inkan impression. Received within 3 months of transfer application.
- Inkan. For stamping forms.
- Certificate proving your address. Might not be needed.
- Certificate of compulsory car insurance. Might not be needed.
From the buyer
- Certificate proving you have a parking space. Dated within 40 days of transfer application.
- Certificate proving your address.
- Certificate of compulsory car insurance.
- Receipt for automobile tax. Might not be needed.
Certificate for parking
The buyer must get a certificate showing they have a parking space. There are some required items which need to be taken to the police station (or perhaps the municipal office).
- Application form.
- Map showing the parking space location relative to your residence.
- Map showing the layout of the parking space.
- Document showing that you have the parking space owner's consent.
- ¥2,700 for white plate cards, or ¥500 for yellow plate cars.
- Akita Land Transport Branch Office (秋田運輸支局 Akita Unyushikyoku).
- Address: 〒010-0816 秋田市泉字登木74-3.
- Telephone: 050-5540-2012.
- Hours: 8:45-12:00, 13:00-16:00.
- Akita Prefectural Police Headquarters.
- Address 010-09511-5 Sanno yon-chome, Akita City.
- Telephone: 018-863-1111.
- Website: .
|City||Romaji Address||Kanji Address||Phone Number|
|Kazuno||100 Hanawa aza Mukouhata,||花輪字向畑１００||0186-23-3321|
|Kita Akita||1 Takanosuaza Shimoieshita||鷹巣字下家下１番地||0186-62-1245|
|Gojome||178-4 Aza Nanakura, Gojome-machi||五城目町字七倉１７８番地４||018-852-4100|
|Oga||1-4 Funakawa aza Shinhama-cho, Funakawa minato||船川港船川字新浜町１－４||0185-23-2233|
|Akita Rinko||1-8 Nishi sancho me, Tsuchizaki minato||土崎港西3-1-8||018-845-0141|
|Akita Chuo||1-9 Senshu meitoku-cho,||千秋明徳町１番９号||018-835-1111|
|Akita East||60-2 Kamikitade momosaki azauchiyama||上北手百崎字内山６０番地２||018-825-5110|
|Nikaho||Kisakata Nyudoujima 15-8||象潟町字入道島１５番地８||0184-43-2935|
|Daisen||Omagari 1-1-30 Hinodecho||大曲日の出町一丁目１-３０号||0187-63-3355|
|Senboku||34-6 Nishinokawahara, Kakunodate||角館町西野川原34-6||0187-53-2111|
|Yokote||71 Yasuda aza Koshimawari||安田字越廻７１番地||0182-32-2250|
|Yuzawa||3-5 Icchome, Sengoku-machi||千石町一丁目３－５||0183-73-2127|
Registering your seal
For various official paperwork, you need to register your personal seal. If you don't have it registered, technically it's just a stamp without official legal meaning. Once you get it registered, you can get a certificate showing this. The certificate is called 印鑑証明書 (inkan shomeisho). The process takes a short amount of time at your local public office. Bring your seal, your Alien Registration Card, and a small amount of money. Once you register your seal, you'll probably get a card, which is needed when obtaining subsequent certificates. Each certificate costs ¥250.
Note: If your name on the seal is not in the same characters as your Alien Registration Card (i.e., it is in katakana not romaji) you may have to register your name as shown on the seal on your Alien Registration Card record as well. The office employees are familiar with the process, and they will handle any difficult points.
Depending on your insurance policy, if you cancel mid-year, you can get a refund for the months you haven't used. Some insurance policies do not allow this, though. Contact your company to find out.
- Main page: Disposing of a Car
If you have an old car, maybe nobody will buy it, so the only thing left to do is get it crushed. Failure to do so leads to badness in the long run. There are car disposal companies that you can hire, or if you're buying a new car, the car shop will handle disposing of the old one. In most cases, the disposal company or car shop will handle all of the confusing paperwork, so all you need to do is give them the right papers, the car and car keys, and stamp some forms. They will need several things.
- Vehicle Inspection Certificate. You should give this to them.
- Front and back license plates. These are on the car.
- Certificate of disposal. They should get this on their own.
- Automobile tax certificate. A receipt showing you paid annual car tax.
- Disposal authorization letter. They may ask you to sign and stamp a form authorizing them to dispose of the car.
- Certificate of inkan impression. Can be obtained at your town office.
- Inkan. So you can stamp the relevant forms.
Once they have all the appropriate forms signed and stamped, they'll crush your car, finish the extra paperwork, take the paperwork to the appropriate municipal office, and your car will be history.
|自動車を廃車する||jidousha wo haisha suru||Dispose of a car|
|OCRシート||OCR shiito||Application Form (OCR #2 sheet)|
|手数料納付書||tesuutyou noufusho||Receipt for payment of registration fee|
|譲渡証明書||jyouto shoumeisho||Proof of the transfer in ownership of the car|
|印鑑証明書||inkan shoumeisho||Certificate of inkan impression|
|使用者の住所を証する書面||shiyousha wo shousuru shoumen||Certificate of proof of address|
|自動車保管場所証明書||jidousha hokan basho shoumeisho||Automobile storage certificate|
|車庫証明||shako shoumei||Certificate of proof of parking space|
|委任状||ininjyou||Letter of attorney|
|自動車税納付証明書||jidousha zei noufu shoumeisho||Receipt of automobile tax payment|
|車検書||shaken sho||Vehicle Inspection Certificate|
|任意保険||nin i hoken||Voluntary Insurance|
|Traveling in Japan|
|Cars||Driving||Driving • Winter Driving • Speeding Tickets • Drinking and Driving • Roadside Station|
|Licenses||International Driving Permit • Japanese Licence Transition (Test Course Elements) • Renewing your Japanese License|
|Acquisition/Disposal||Buying a Car • Transferring Ownership of a Car • Disposing of a Car|
|Other Transport||Trains • Akita Nairiku Line • Shinkansen • Buses • Ferries|
|Airports||Akita Airport • Odate-Noshiro Airport • Narita International Airport • Haneda Airport • Sendai Airport • Kansai Airport|
|Leaving the Country||Residence Card • Visa Extension • Travel Insurance • Buying Flights & Travel Agents|
|Other Topics||Exploring Akita • Getting to Tokyo • Traveling in and out of Japan • Akita JET travel guide • Where in the World is Sugichi? • Quirky Japan|