Yuzawa Ogachi Recitation and Speech Contest
The Yuzawa Ogachi Recitation & Speech Contest (湯沢雄勝英語暗唱弁論大会; yuzawa ogachi eigo anshou benron taikai) is an annual competition that is held in Yuzawa for junior high school students in Yuzawa, Ugo, and Higashinaruse.
Each school may send up to 3 participants, however if 3 students are selected at least one must write and perform a speech, and one other must perform a recitation. Having 3 speeches or 3 recitations is forbidden. Both recitations and speeches have time limits of 5 minutes.
The contest is held every year in central Yuzawa, at the Yuzawa Royal Hotel in the 2nd floor hall. The morning portion is reserved for recitations and the afternoon portion is reserved for speeches.
This contest is judged by 3 JTEs from area senior high schools, as well as one senior high school ALT from Yuzawa.
The recitation participants are judged on 3 points, some of which have several sub-points.
- Diction (40%). pronunciation, intonation, stress, and rhythm.
- Delivery 40%). Poise of attitude (eye contact, facial expression, gesticulation), audibility (clarity, loudness), and memorization.
- General impression (20%).
The speech participants are judged on 4 points, some of which have several sub-points.
- Diction (30%). Pronunciation, intonation, stress, and rhythm.
- Delivery (30%). Poise of attitude (eye contact, facial expression, gesticulation), audibility (clarity, loudness), and memory.
- Contents (30%).
- General impression (10%).
The following schools participate in this contest.
- Yuzawa Kita Junior High School
- Yuzawa Minami Junior High School
- Yamada Junior High School
- Sukawa Junior High School
- Inakawa Junior High School
- Minase Junior High School
- Ogachi Junior High School
- Ugo Junior High School
- Miwa Junior High School
- Takase Junior High School